boys Swimming Regulations
(Executive Athletic Board approved 9-13-22)
- The League Office recommends that all swim coaches be registered in the State as a swim official.
- A registered-certified lifesaving person should be present at all practices and meets.
- A student may not enter the Championship Meet if his or her high school does not have a team entered in the Catholic League. The League Director may grant waiver provided League Fees are paid.
- A contestant having been entered in any event may not be scratched or withdrawn from this event and the entry changed to another event.
- The EVENTS and their ORDER will be determined by the ratification of the Michigan High School Athletic Association.
- No CHSL dual meets will be scheduled the week before or the week of the CHSL Championship Meet.
- Tri-Meets, Double Duals, and Quad meets are encouraged.
- All CHSL dual meets will begin at 6 PM, and Warm Up at 5 PM. Changes to start times may be changed if agreeable by all coaches.
- All CHSL dual meet facility locations will have proper timing systems and diving facilities to host a dual meet. If the scheduled home team cannot provide adequate facilities they must defer their home meet to the visiting team.
- It is recommended that all meet locations have backup timers with stopwatches as well as someone to operate the backup buttons.
- Diving: See the diving section for further instructions.
Exhibition Events at CHSL Dual Meets:
- Exhibition events will be run at the same time as varsity events. Exhibition heats will run before the varsity/scoring heat.
- By mutual agreement of participating head coaches, the number of exhibition heats allowed will be decided for each event.
- Diving Exhibition: See the diving section for further instructions
- Admission fees to the Championship Meet will be set by the Catholic League Director.
- A contestant may compete only in the legal number of events.
- Each team will be allowed an A and B relay, only the A relay will score. Each team is allowed unlimited entries. Only 4 athletes per event may score. The remaining athletes must be marked as exhibition athletes. Each athlete is allowed a maximum of 4 events, either 3 relays, and one individual race or 2 relays and 2 individual races. Exhibition events count towards an athlete's event total.
- The number of divers may not be more than four (4) from each school. Each contestant shall submit a list of their dives on the entry form.
- For relays, only one (1) team from each school allowed to score in the Championship Meet.
- There shall be no changes in the relay teams after you have qualified for the Finals, unless they are on your entry sheet
- A diver cannot change his/her dives after the preliminaries begin. Each diver must deliver, before the preliminaries begin, a statement of his/her dives to the Meet Director, the day of the Meet. However, diver’s names must be entered on the entry form.
- No practice will be allowed until two (2) hours before the Meet, at the Championship site.
- Catholic League Swim records may be set in the preliminaries or Finals of the Meet.
- The eight (8) best contestants, in all swim events, will qualify for the Finals.
- Lanes for the preliminaries and the Finals will be assigned by having the fastest time placed on the center line and so on to the outside lanes.
- Free Style & Medley Relays: 32-26-24-22-20-18-14-12-10-8-6-4-2
- Individual Events: 16-13-12-11-10-9-8-5-4-3-2-1
- Dual Meets: scoring per National Federation Rule Book.
- In the Case of ties, the points will be divided equally.
Deadline date for Swim Championship entries will be one (1) week prior to the preliminary date.
**Revisions/Additions made after the deadline given by the League Meet Manager WILL NOT be accepted and those student athletes will be deemed disqualified for that event (3.1.2023).
All Catholic & All-League
1. The top 3 finishers in both individual and relay events will be considered All-Catholic.
2. Individual event finishers of fourth through sixth place will be considered All-League.
3. Each coach will select one senior to be considered All-Academic.
CHSL Dual Meets:
- The meet referee and diving coaches will judge diving. In the event that a diving coach is not present, the head coach from that school will judge diving. Two coaches from the same school are not allowed to judge diving.
- Athletes, managers, and volunteers are not allowed to judge diving.
CHSL Diving Championships:
- Warm-up will be at minimum 1 hour prior to the start of the meet.
- CHSL Diving championships will take place one week before the state diving regionals.
- All participating divers will be allowed to do 11 dives.
- If the diver cannot complete 11 dives safely, they must stop at 8 dives and will be considered an exhibition diver and score no points.
- Each team will provide a judge for the championship meet. In the event, the diving coach is unavailable the teams’ head coach will judge diving.
- Dive Meeting
- Officials meeting with divers will take place 15 minutes prior to the start of the dive competition.